2019 NRPS PAC Parent Education Committee Event
Thur., Mar.7, 9:00am-10:30am 2019: How to arrange the spring / summer holidays (especially camping in the National/Provincial parks, also including the spring/summer camps in the city)
Location: Room D110 (1st floor, Early Learning room)
Style: Sharing your experience so that we could learn the creative ideas from each other.
Resources: Two volunteers will share their camping experience with RV, tent and cabin at provincial and national parks. Please contact Fei at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to share some good park options in BC. Thanks!
Please click the following Questions Collection Platform for the event on Mar. 7th 2019 (feel free to list the other topics you are interested in) https://app2.sli.do/event/g3z1rkmd/live (Slido code: camping)
2019年NRPS PAC 家长教育组系列活动
Tomorrow we celebrate Pink Shirt Day. We ask all kids (and parents) to wear pink (or purple). The pink t-shirt symbolizes taking a stand against bullying. If your child does not have a pink shirt then they can wear anything from a pink ribbon in their hair or on their clothing, to a pink scarf.
Where, when and why did it start?
The original event was organized by David Shepherd and Travis Price of Berwick, Nova Scotia, who in 2007 bought and distributed 50 pink shirts after male ninth grade student Chuck McNeill was bullied for wearing a pink shirt during the first day of school.
Please support this day and help show support for those who have suffered from bullying or are currently suffering.
Yesterday was the 2019 Math Challengers Lower Mainland Regional competition at UBC. 20 Norma Rose Point students participated in this event. 15 in 3 Grade 8 teams and 5 in 1 Grade 9 team. Our school was seeded in Pool A and we were against 9 opponents such as Transition, UHill, Burnaby North, West Point Grey Academy. It was the toughest competition ever.
Our Grade 8 team placed first with 3 students in the Top 10 participating in the Face-Off stage. Our Grade 9 team placed third with one in Top 10. Another double-trophy-day for NRP!
The following are the names of the students who have rendered their outstanding contributions:
Team Alpha (Grade 8 Division)
Kevin Liu: 1st place, Face-Off Champion, and Perfect Blitz
Erik Wang: 8th place
Team Beta (Grade 8 Division)
Amanda Yang: 6th place
Team Gamma (Grade 8 Division)
Team Omega (Grade 9 Division)
Alec Situ: 3rd place
Our 2 teams of students will compete in the Math Challengers Provincial that is coming up on April 6th. Congratulations! Special thanks for the support of the parents and student coaches.
We are super proud of ALL of you!! What an amazing job!
Please see below for the March PAC Newsletter.
March 2019 Newsletter
Please see the link for a parent opportunity
With society heading in a direction of being constantly connected to technology, what do we need to know as parents to protect our kids and teach them responsible and appropriate use of technology? The parameters of rules and expectations that you put in place at home will undoubtedly guide their behaviour in the years to come. Please join us for an informative presentation which will cover the following topics and more! * Social Media Update – The most current apps & trends in their social media lives * Pick Your Battles! – You will have to balance the yin with the yang, promote
DPAC February Update:
VSB’s Long Range Facilities Plan
VSB is revising it’s Long Range Facilities Plan (LRFP)
- This is a Ministry required document which is used to help decide:
- which capital projects (seismic, new schools, expansions) the Ministry will endorse;
- which schools may be considered on a closure list; and
- what new initiatives the VSB sees happening in the next 10 years with respect to VSB buildings.
- DPAC will have having a special meeting with VSB staff on Thursday, March 7, 6:30 – 8:30pm in Room 180, 1580 W. Broadway. to discuss and ask questions. (Registration not required unless you require childcare, but is appreciated)
- Background information to be aware of:
- The revised draft is scheduled to go public on Friday, February 22nd as part of the VSB’s Facilites Planning Standing Committee agenda. A link will be posted here.
- The current Long Range Facilities Plan, passed in May 2016, can be found here.
- The Ministry’s Long Range Facilies Plan Guidelines are here.
- All parents and guardians in the Vancouver school district are welcome to attend. Please contact email@example.com or register with Eventbrite at least 48 hours ahead of time if you require childcare for this meeting.
February General Meeting: Supporting Caregivers of Students with Diverse Learning Needs
As part of DPAC’s General Meeting on February 28th, BCCPAC will be presenting a session on supporting students with diverse needs and their caregivers.BCCPAC’s presentation will include:
- How PACs and DPAC can help support parents;
- The understanding that all students have the right of a quality education;
- That parents have rights;
- That there is a process and protocol within the school district when seeking assistance/resolution; and
- Resources parents should be aware of
All parents and guardians in the Vancouver school district are welcome to attend. Registration is not required unless you require childcare, but is appreciated..
- Wednesday, Feb 20, 5:30pm – VSB Finance Committee 1580 West Broadway agenda includes 2019/20 Budget timeline
- Thursday, Feb 21, 7:00pm – Autism Support Network Vancouver Neighbourhood Group is holding a parent support and information meeting. Parents from all areas are welcome to attend. For the focus of this meeting, Heidi St. Pierre will present on Executive Functioning and ASD. 1288 West Cordova
- Monday, Feb 25, 7pm – VSB Special Board Meeting. 1580 West Broadway
- Wednesday, Feb 20 – Saturday, Mar 10 – The Cultch is presenting Children of God at the York Theatre. A musical about the impact of residential schools that celebrates resilience and the power of the Indigenous cultural spirit. tickets.thecultch.com
- Wednesday, Feb 27 – Pink Shirt Day / Day of Pink. Wear pink
- Wednesday, Feb 27 – VSB Facilities Planning Committee (to discuss draft LRFP) 1580 West Broadway
- Thursday, Feb 28, 7pm – DPAC General Meeting: Supporting Caregivers of Students with Diverse Learning Needs Rm 180, Vancouver Education Centre 1580 W. Broadway
- Monday, Mar 4, 7pm – VSB Board Meeting. 1580 West Broadway
- Tuesday, Mar 5, 7pm – David Thompson PAC is hosting – Vaping Products – Let’s Clear the Air 1755 East 55th Avenue
- Wednesday, Mar 6 – VSB Personnel Committee 1580 West Broadway
- Wednesday, Mar 6 – VSB Facilities Planning Committee 1580 West Broadway
- Thursday, Mar 7, 6:30pm – DPAC Special Meeting: Long Range Facilities Plan Q&A Rm 180, 1580 W. Broadway
- Wednesday, Mar 13 – VSB Facilities Planning Committee (to discuss draft LRFP) 1580 West Broadway
- Thursday, Mar 14, 7pm – DPAC Executive Meeting Rm 180, 1580 W. Broadway
Parents of incoming K’s
Cross Boundary applications must be completed by Feb 28
As announced on the VSB website (and all over the news) all Vancouver Schools including NRP are closed today.
UBC is also closed today.
Happy snow day!