Next Thursday, Oct 25
- SOGI = Sexual Orientation Gender Orientation – everyone has one, so what’s all the fuss? Come find out in a safe, inclusive environment.
- Facilitated by Matt Carruthers (former SOGI District Lead) and Renee Hock (VSB Diversity Mentor).
- We will have Cantonese and Mandarin translation services available for parents who require them.
- Open to all parents and caregivers of VSB students.
Other Upcoming Events
- Friday, Oct 19 – Professional Day, no school
- Saturday, Oct 20 – Municipal Election Day, If you are at least 18 years old, a Canadian citizen, have lived in BC for at least the past 6 months and in Vancouver (or owned property in your name) for at least the past 30 days, you are probably eligible to vote. Please do. Follow the link if you have any questions. This vote will determine Vancouver’s mayor, city council, parks board and school board.
- Thursday, Oct 25 7-9pm – DPAC General Meeting: SOGI Education for Parents. Rm 180, Vancouver Education Centre 1580 W. Broadway. see above..
- Monday, Oct 29 7pm – VSB Board Meeting
- Thursday, Nov 1 7pm –DPAC Executive Meeting (Note: this meeting is on the 1st Thursday as National Aboriginal Veterans Day is on the 8th)
- Monday, Nov 5 7pm – Inaugural VSB Board Meeting
- Thursday, Nov 8 – National Aboriginal Veterans Day
- Friday, Nov 9 – Professional Day, no school
- Sunday, Nov 11 – Remembrance Day
- Monday, Nov 12 – Stat holiday for Remembrance Day, no school
- Tuesday, November 13 – Anxiety in Children and Youth. Part of the free Child and Youth Wellbeing Workshops that VCH Child and Youth Mental Health Services in collaboration with the VSB are co-presenting this school year. Open this PDF, then click on the register link to enrol.
- Thursday Nov 15 7-9pm – DPAC’s ADHD in Schools: What Parents Need to Know workshop presented by Provincial ADHD Clinic facilitated ADHD workshop for parents and caregivers. Rm 180, Vancouver Education Centre 1580 W. Broadway
DPAC Election: PACs please vote by Oct 31
- Allison Tredwell has been nominated by Edith Cavell PAC to become a DPAC executive. Please ensure your PAC votes by Oct 31
- We are pleased to announce that Gord Lau, nominated by Trafalgar PAC, is now a member of our executive.
- We currently have 6 openings on our executive including the position of Treasurer. If you are interested, please ask your PAC to nominate you at the next PAC meeting (nomination form)
Halloween & Firework Safety Bulletin from Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services
- Fireworks are dangerous items and thus must be handled carefully by adults and kept out of reach of children.
- Within the City of Vancouver, to purchase, possess and use fireworks individuals must be 19 years of age and have a permit.
- Setting off fireworks on any day other than Halloween, may result in a fine of $500. Parents are reminded that minors are not to be in possession of fireworks.
- Fireworks should never be purchased online or from other unauthorized sources. Many of these products are not legal in Vancouver and considered not safe for use.
- Each year, thousands of dollars of damages are incurred within the City of Vancouver from misuse of fireworks.
- On several occasions, unsafe handling of fireworks has resulted in serious injuries of a minor, including permanent loss of eyesight, burns, and catastrophic trauma to hands.
- In 2017, VF&RS responded numerous times to two specific areas of the city: 33rd Avenue and Dunbar (Dunbar Community Centre) and the Vancouver South slope near Fraser and Main Street.
- Vancouver Police and VF&RS Officers will be patrolling neighborhoods leading up to Halloween and issuing fines to anyone not complying with bylaws.
WE Day Family – Vancouver
Free tickets for VSB families
- Wednesday, Nov 21 6:15pm – Hear from inspirational speakers and performers who will bring to life the theme of “Get Doing”—the idea of building a brighter future and what happens when amazing families like yours come together to create change. Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to experience the magic of WE Day alongside the children in your life at our first Vancouver event! You’ll leave the event with tangible ideas to take action as a family and make a difference in your local and global community.
- Line up includes: Sarah McLachlan, Peter Mansbridge, Esera Tuaolo, and Jessi Cruickshank
- To learn more about WE Day Family Vancouver, visit WE.org/WECareVancouver
- VSB families only … to get free tickets,
- open this pdf,
- click on “CLICK HERE REGISTER FOR WE DAY FAMILY – VANCOUVER”
- select SD J and enter SDJ.
- Chose the number of tickets you need (max 8)
- Click on General Admission Seating or Accessible Seating on the right side, a green Get Tickets button will appear.
- Choose this and you will be taken to a screen to enter delivery info and contact info. IMPORTANT: please enter #SD39 in UNIT NUMBER between Address and City.
- Tickets are first come, first serve. General admission – no assigned seats. Please be considerate,